Monday, November 30, 2009

BP1_20091130_Web 2.0 tools

I have researched and now use several Web 2.0 tools. Actually when I first started this I thought the term Web 2.0 referred to actual software or something but have since discovered that it isn't as easy as "just software" and is far more encompassing. The Web 2.0 tool I am currently using and finding to be extremely useful is Dim-Dim. What Dim-Dim is is a simplistic version of a Wimba classroom. Originally designed with the training industry in mind the use of Dim-Dim in a classroom setting is quite useful. One of the challenges faced by myself and my students is the time it takes our semi-antiquated computers to boot-up. Sometimes a minimum of fifteen minutes is spent waiting if I don't think to go in ahead of time and turn the computers on so Dim-Dim comes to the rescue. The students in most of my classes have a PLE and as I teach them to set-up and manage their PLE it helps for them to join me in my Dim-Dim meeting room so they can "walk through" the process with me. Then, when they can finally get to their PLE, they can click their way through the whole process in record time. This also allows me to do some staff development during off hours because I'm working on staff "buy in" to validate the use of a student's PLE in all their classes. One drawback to Dim-Dim is that with the free version only 20 students can join the session at a time but since I teach in a small school district I usually don't have more than 20 students but if I do they can double up for the session. I recommend giving the program a try if you want to teach anything to several students collectively using technology because it allows you to share websites, internet resources and give instruction plus you can add text or draw, chat, talk, most of the things that can be done in a wimba session.

No comments:

Post a Comment